Richmond is a city in Fort Bend County with a population of under 12,000. The Brazos river runs through the city.
Although the first settlers came in 1822, the town was established by Robert Eden Handy and William Lusk in 1837 and named after Richmond, North Yorkshire. It was the first city incorporated by the Republic of Texas, briefly a country in its own right. In December that year it became the seat of government for Fort Bend County.
Further Information (off-site links)
Texas State Historical Association: