Richmond Township is a small area with a population of over 1,000 residents.
The first permanent white settlers came to the area now known as Crawford County in 1788 from New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania. Before that the land was a neutral zone separating several tribes, including the Seneca’s. Although no one group dominated the area it was the crossroads for a network of Indian trails. Friendly relations with the Indians were an important factor in the success of early settlements here.
The land which now composes Richmond Township was originally part of the 7th and 8th Donation Districts established for Revolutionary War veterans. The Township was formed in 1829 from lands originally part of Rockdale and Randolph Townships. The first permanent settlers arrived in the Richmond Township area in 1817. Possibly the most nationally famous settler of Richmond Township was John Brown known for his strong abolitionist stand on slavery.
Further Information (off-site links)