Richmond is a French-speaking town of under 4,000 in Estrie, Quebec. The Saint-François River runs through the town, which today is an amalgamation of the original town of Richmond and the village of Melbourne on the other side of the river.
Richmond was originally settled in 1798 by North American colonists, and quickly became a key location on the Canadian rail system, in the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Railroad.
The town was named in 1820, after the 4th Duke of Richmond, who died and was buried there in 1819. The town was at its peak between 1860 - 1930, but since the decline of the railways, the town has come to play a lesser role.
Richmond hosts to second largest annual St. Patrick's Day Parade in Quebec.
Further Information (off-site links)