A farming town situated in the Bo-Karoo next to the N1 approximately halfway between Cape Town and Gauteng, South Africa
Established in 1843, Richmond was built around a developing community of farmers around a river which no longer exists. The pattern of the streets of Richmond show the place in which the river used to run. The original inhabitants intended to name the town after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Governor of the Cape, but at his request it was named instead for Maitland's father-in-law, the Duke of Richmond in October 1845.
Further Information (off-site links)